Rules & Application
The JAM Video Awards registration opens
August 1, 2016 with some changes.
There are a lot of changes this year. We have new categories and are working on an easier way to submit your work!
6th Annual JAM Video Awards
Including Free College Student Category
Submission deadline: Friday, Sept. 30, 2016
The registration is open to members of the public and at a discount rate to members of the Jersey Access Group.
Not a JAG member? Find out how to become one.
College Student Categories entries are FREE of charge with a limit of five entries.
Click here to enter: http://goo.gl/qu1daJ
Judging is based on six basic criteria: Content, Technical Quality, Creativity, “Local-centricity”, Style, and Overall Impact. There are a total of 14 competitive categories.
- Submit all entries in MPEG-4 format only – files must be received by Friday, Sept. 30, 2016.
- Entries may be any length; however judges are only required to watch 15 minutes of each entry. You may submit any part of a program or programs: such as the beginning and end, or beginning and middle, etc. of a single program OR three to four segments from a series program, not exceeding 5 minutes for each segment (clearly delineate between each segment with a slate or fade). You must not re-edit the segments for the purpose of this contest; they must appear as they were originally produced.
- All entries must be accompanied by a 15 second highlight clip for use as part of the JAM Video Awards presentation.
- All entries submitted must have been wholly produced between September 1, 2015 and July 31, 2016.
- Entry fees are $50 for JAG members and $75 for non-JAG members, per entry. Enter 4 programs and you get the fifth entry free!!! Pay online with PayPal at the registration site, a municipal purchase order, or by check. Make checks payable to Jersey Access Group. If you don’t know if you are a current Jersey Access Group member, please contact Debbe Gist at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Category awards will be in the form of award for first place, certificates for second and third place, and possibly honorable mention.
- Please label each entry file with the category number, category entered, name of entry, and station or organization name.
- Instructions and password will be sent via email for uploading of entries to JAG.
Make checks payable to Jersey Access Group
Mail check or purchase order to:
Jersey Access Group, PO Box 164, Metuchen, NJ 08840
Reasons for Disqualification
- File is not in the required format.
- Files which are not viewable for technical reasons. Judges will make every effort to view your entry. Please check your files before upload.
- An entry that clearly violates a specific requirement of the category in which it is entered.
- Improper alteration or re-editing for the purpose of this contest. Program or excerpts of the program should be entered in this contest as they were originally produced.
- Incorrect payment or failure to pay by Nov. 4, 2016.
- Failure to provide a 15 seconds publicity clip.
- Entry received after Sept. 30, 2016 will not be accepted. This is a REAL deadline and there will be no extensions!
Note: No refunds will be made for any entry that is disqualified, or if any other error is made by the producer or submitter of any entry.
Indemnification and Rights
- All decisions made by the judging panels of the Jersey Access Group Video Awards Committee are final.
- To promote community media, the Jersey Access Group retains the right to use clips of winning entries for promotional purposes, including broadcast of the JAM Awards show for a period of two (2) years.
- The producer of the work is responsible for obtaining all approvals, clearances, licenses, etc., for materials contained in the entry and will provide such clearances upon request.
- To volunteer to be a judging site, or for answers to questions, contact: Victoria Timpanaroemail@example.com.
Note: Programs may be entered into more than one category but each category has to have a separate entry form and fee. Awards will be given to first place winners with second and third place winners receiving certificates.
- Arts, Entertainment & Music (Original Productions, non-event coverage): Spoken recital, video and movie wrap-a-round, sketch comedy, variety acts, along with movie and gaming reviews. Traditional or innovative musical/dance performance, creative or experimental music videos, dance, or music/dance artist profiles.
- Documentary: Program that profiles true-to-life people, places, organizations, or program that examines true-to-life event(s), occurrences or issues and provides factual information without fictional elements.
- Instructional & Training: Programming of a “how-to” nature… informational and skill-building feature (often hands-on) to help viewers accomplish a goal.
- Issues & Political Process: Program that includes a monolog or opinion/interview-based discussion of an issue or idea in order to explore points of view, or that involves viewers in the political process, pre-election interviews or coverage of local election night results, commentary, debates, or forums…democracy in action.
- News & Magazine Format: Entertainment, information, or variety show or series comprised of short, self-contained segments; or an edited series, or a program that offers reports on local topics and events around a town, city or school.
- PSAs & Promos: Station IDs, show promos, informational piece about PEG, short scripted production, or a short public service announcement about a nonprofit organization.
- Sports Programming: Coverage of a sporting event and/or sports competition.
- Talk Show- Government: Programs hosted or centered on a local politician or office. This could include shows featuring a town/city mayor, a local assemblyman, a freeholder, etc.
- Talk Show- Interview Program: Any subject or topic based program that includes opinion/interview-based discussion of a person or event to generate interest and educate the public.
- Talk Show- Round Table Program: A show that features several active members of a panel discussion that could focus on any kind of topic.
- Public Meetings: Coverage of an open meeting for the community including town meetings, board of education, etc.
- Local Events- Parades: Coverage of a parade in your community such as winter holiday, Memorial Day, Halloween, etc.
- Local Events- Fairs, Festivals & Car Shows: Coverage of events in your community like a county fair, street fair, car show, summer festivals, etc.
- Local Events- Arts & Crafts: Coverage of special Arts & Crafts events in your community such as pumpkin carving, decoration making, etc.
- Local Events- Concerts: Coverage of events in your community including summer concert series, jazz in the park, holiday concerts, etc.
- Local Events- Ceremonies: Coverage of ceremonies in your community such as awards programs, special recognitions, Memorial Day, Veterans Day, etc.
- Local Events- Community Development Events: Coverage of ground breaking, grand openings and ribbon cutting ceremonies in your community.
- Local Events- Non-Profits: Coverage of “not for profit” organizational programs or events such as libraries, theatre, fraternal organizations, religious groups, etc.
- College Student Non-Broadcast Category: These are any video works that have NOT been broadcast over the conventional television channels, but follow the appropriate broadcast standards (No obscenity, no nudity, etc.). They could have been created as a class assignment or internal communications – i.e.: internet/streaming.
For questions or to volunteer to be a judging site, contact: Victoria Timpanaro at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- After submitting this on line registration you will be sent instructions and a password to upload your entry file to JAM Video Awards on-line.
- Each entry must be uploaded separately.
- File name must include the category number, category name, entry title, and the name of your organization or station.
- Payments can be made by check, purchase order or PayPal with a credit card.
- Click below to enter up to five programs and/or categories.
- Additional entries require use of a different email address.
- You may not change or add to your registration form after you have submitted it.
- Maximum of 5 entries per registration form.
- Submission of this registration application certifies that I have the authority to submit this entry and have secured all necessary rights for material presented in the program. I understand that by submitting this entry, I am giving the Jersey Access Group and local broadcast stations the rights for non-commercial use of clips of my winning entry for two years for promotional and/or broadcast of the JAM Video Awards show.
- All entry must be received no later than Friday, Sept. 30, 2016
- Payment or purchase order must be received by Nov 4, 2016 or the entry will be disqualified.
Click below to register.
Only 5 entries per registration.
Awards will be presented at the Jersey Access Group JAM Awards Dinner on Dec. 7, 2016, 6-10pm, at The Lago Restaurant, Lounge and Banquet Hall, North Brunswick, NJ.
I know this year’s event is going to be great and I hope you will all be there!
We appreciate your support and wish you luck!
JAM Video Awards Committee
Victoria Timpanaro, Chair