The Community Access Preservation Act (CAP) HR-3745:
On October 8 Wisconsin Congresswoman Tammy Baldwin filed the Community Access Preservation Act, which, if enacted, would preserve and protect PEG access channels in four ways. This bill:
- Allows PEG access fees to be used for any PEG-related purposes;
- Ends operators’ discriminatory treatment of PEG channels;
- Directs the FCC to study and report on the effects recent states’ video franchising legislation has had on PEG access; and
- Defines all video services delivered to the home over wire as “cable” for the purposes of the act, regardless of the transmission protocol used.
JAG urges all stations to support this bill and to get their Congressional Legislators behind this. Here you can find links on the following:
- CAP Act, HR-3745
- Sample Resolution to have passed in your town: The value of PEG access services is widespread, and appreciated by the various levels of local government whose meetings are seen on the channels, and who use the channels for delivering essntial information to their communities. Here is a sampl resolution they can send to your Congressional delegation asking them to support these PEG access protections.
- Alliance for Community Media’s Call to Action on the CAP Act
- CAP Act Summary
- Sample Letters for Congressman and Senators: Community media advocates need to send letters to their Senators and Representatives asking them to support the bill – seeking co-sponsors in the House, filing companion legislation in the Senate
- Baldwin’s Letter to FCC Chairman Julius Genachowski and his respone: Here is Congresswoman Baldwin’s letter to the FCC requesting swift action of the ACM’s Petition for Declaratory Ruling, along with FCC Chairman Julius Genachowski’s response. The ACM encourages community media advocates to ask their Senators and Representatives to send similar letters of support to the FCC.
- House Appropriations Sub-Committee Letter to the FCC: This is the letter sent by several members of the Subcommittee asking the FCC to look into the matter of placing PEG channels on digital tiers.
- ACM Powerpoint Presentation on How to Talk/Meet with your Legislators
Preserve Community Access Now!
Pass the Community Access Preservation Act – HR 3745, Tammy Baldwin (WI-D), sponsor.